Chipstead Primary School
Chipstead Primary School opened in 1874 and was run by the Mary Stephens Foundation as a non-fee paying school for the children of the village between 4 and 14. It was taken over by the Surrey County Council in 1902 as a state school. Pupils used to take the 11+ examination to the grammar schools in Reigate and Purley, the unsuccessful candidates going to Chipstead Valley Secondary Modern (now a primary school).
Despite considerable protest from parents in the village, the school finally closed in 1994 and most children were transferred to Woodmansterne County Primary School. The school was sold to a developer and sympathetically divided into individual dwellings as the School Mews development. The headmaster used to live on site in the house which is now called Headmaster's Cottage.